Search

Featured Items

Robertson Memorial Field House

The Robertson Memorial Field House, formerly located on Main Street, was originally named...

The Madison Theater

The Madison Theater, the idea of local showman Dee Robinson, was the last...

Knox College

On February 15, 1837, the Illinois Legislature chartered Knox Manual Labor College in...

Metamora Courthouse

The Metamora Courthouse is one of only two remaining courthouses from the Eighth...

Peoria
peoria
Buildings   |   Landmarks   |   People   |   Other History

 

                                                                       

 

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Prev Next

Bradley Park

Bradley Park

  Bradley Park was a gift from Lydia Moss Bradley, the founder of Bradley University. She named a portion of the park in honor of her daughter, Laura, who died at...

Read more

Christopher Columbus Monument

Christopher Columbus Monument

    In Laura Bradley Park, at the end of Columbia Terrace, stands a monument of Christopher Columbus holding a globe in his left hand and calipers in his right. On October...

Read more

Civil War Memorial

Civil War Memorial

The Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil War Memorial was erected by the Ladies' Memorial Day Association through donations from the city, including pennies from area schoolchildren. President McKinley and members of...

Read more

Forest Park Nature Center

Forest Park Nature Center

 Guided by a Forest Park naturalist, hikers move silently up the valley trail over a thick blanket of snow. In the light of the full moon, they can make out...

Read more

Franklin Street Bridge

Franklin Street Bridge

  Communities growing along rivers are preoccupied with bridges. Employment, transportation and communication, even family life are affected by the ability to move across the rivers. In the history of Peoria,...

Read more

George Washington Bust

George Washington Bust

To commemorate the bicentennial, Avard Fairbanks created the 48" x 32" x 27" bronze bust of George Washington in 1975. With the bicentennial approaching, Fairbanks said, "There will be plenty...

Read more

Glen Oak Park

Glen Oak Park

 The Peoria park system was established in 1893. Its first purchase, known as Birkett Hollow, consisted of 72 acres and cost ,000 in 1894. An artificial lake, with Rose Island...

Read more

Grand View Drive

Grand View Drive

  When Theodore Roosevelt visited Peoria on October 10, 1910, he called Grand View Drive the "World's Most Beautiful Drive." Grand View is revered as one of the most beautiful drives...

Read more

Illinois Central College

Illinois Central College

  Illinois Central College, otherwise known as ICC, has provided quality, affordable higher education to Central Illinois for years. Having produced national champions in women's basketball, baseball, and men's basketball—as well...

Read more

Peace and Harvest

Peace and Harvest

 On September 3, 1939, England declared war on Germany, commencing World War II. Ironically, the sculptures Peace and Harvest were unveiled during a ceremony in Peoria this same day. Produced...

Read more

Robert Ingersoll Statue

Robert Ingersoll Statue

This statue, near the entrance to Glen Oak Park at Perry and Abington streets, was dedicated in memory of Robert Ingersoll on October 28, 1911. The statue's sculptor, Fritz Triebel,...

Read more

Spoon River

Spoon River

The Spoon River weaves through four counties in Illinois as a living reminder of prairie history. It begins in northern Stark County and extends through Peoria and Knox Counties. After...

Read more

The Steamboat Era

The Steamboat Era

    Before the 1830s, when the first steamboat arrived in Peoria, river transportation was severely limited. While the early French bateaux and later American keelboats were easily able to make the...

Read more

TriCentennial Tree

TriCentennial Tree

Peoria's oldest tree is the 300-year-old bur white oak in the Peoria Park District's Giant Oak Park on High Street. A seedling from the tree was planted on the grounds...

Read more

Upper Free Bridge

Upper Free Bridge

The wood floored Upper Free Bridge was built at the near the location of the current McCluggage Bridge in 1888. Before the construction of the bridge, people would cross the...

Read more

 

 

 

 

Joomla Templates - by Joomlage.com