Search

Featured Items

John Schwab Grocery and Riverfront Visit…

Built in 1852, the John Schwab Grocery (formerly the Powell Press Building) was...

Sinking of the Columbia Steamboat

A notable catastrophe in the history of United States inland waterway navigation was...

Richard Pryor

One of the more revolutionary, and controversial, figures in the history of standup...

Proctor Hospital

In 1882, Thomas McIlvane, O.B. Will and John Hamilton, three Peoria area doctors,...

Peoria
peoria
Buildings   |   Landmarks   |   People   |   Other History

 

                                                                       

 

agatucci-s Situated on the West side of University Street, between Forrest Hill and McClure, is a simple brick and tan building, adorned only with the name Agatucci's and the glow of red and green lighting. Yet,...
apollo-theatre When the Apollo Theatre opened for business on Monday, May 11, 1914, it was the only Peoria theater exclusively devoted to showing motion pictures. The 800-seat theater was constructed on the site of...
boland-mortuary In 1937, the Peoria City Directory called the Boland Mortuary, "Peoria's largest and most exclusive funeral home." The mortuary, which was started in 1876 by Daniel Boland, was located, for a time, in...
carver-center  In the early 1920s, the Colored Women's Aid Club, a group of outstanding and progressive women, desired a place for organized recreational facilities for minorities in Peoria. They realized that...
cornerstone-building The Cornerstone Building at the corner of Jackson and Madison was originally constructed in 1899 as the Second Presbyterian Church at a cost of ,000. The building was designed by architect W. W....
easton-house Easton House was originally home to Edward and Sarah Easton. Edward was born in 1842, the son of a grain merchant and grandson of a Scottish immigrant. At 13, he entered the work force as a train boy....
father-sweeney-school-for-the-academically-talented Peoria, Illinois has had some very bright jewels in its crown. One, Father Sweeney School for the Academically Talented, was, for a time, the only school that provided Catholic education, along with a...
g-a-r-hall Bryer Post 67 of the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) was organized in October 1879. In 1909, this group of Civil War veterans moved into their new meeting quarters at 416 Hamilton Street. Their new...
greenhut-mansion In 1870, Joseph Benedict Greenhut arrived in Peoria with only in his pocket. By 1884, he was Peoria's most well known citizen, and he owned the Great Western Distillery, which was then the...
irving-primary-school Before settling at its current location, Irving Primary School underwent a few location changes. Sometime before 1854, the school began as the Third Ward School, and was located at Fayette and Perry. In...
janssen-building The corner of Main and Jefferson in downtown Peoria has a history that harkens back to a time when French land claims were still being settled in the courts. In 1834, an authorized survey of Peoria was...
john-c-flanagan-house The oldest existing house in the city of Peoria is located at 611 SW Washington. Built by Philadelphia attorney John C. Flanagan around 1840, at what was then 912 Bluff Street, most of the materials...
john-c-proctor-recreation-center John C. Proctor, a Peoria businessman and philanthropist, left funds to build a recreation center upon his death on June 22, 1907. His trustees, who were several prominent businessmen, used a 0,000...
john-schwab-grocery-and-riverfront-visitors-center Built in 1852, the John Schwab Grocery (formerly the Powell Press Building) was initially located at 214 NE Washington Street. Today this building, Peoria's only pre-Civil War commercial building, still...
the-madison-theater The Madison Theater, the idea of local showman Dee Robinson, was the last of Peoria's "picture palaces" in the downtown area. The theater opened at the corner of Main Street and Madison Avenue on...
methodist-medical-center Methodist Medical Center was founded through the efforts of deaconesses from the Methodist Episcopal Church. It was incorporated in 1898, and on May 24, 1900, Deaconess Home and Hospital opened in the...
midstate-college The story of Midstate College is, in many ways, a microcosm of the history of commercial education in Central Illinois. A commercial school was operating in Peoria as early as 1857. A number of others...
northern-regional-research-lab The Northern Regional Research Lab (now the National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research) opened on December 16, 1940. The NCAUR presently holds one of the largest culture collections in the...
osf-st-francis In the late 1800s, Reverend Bernard Baak of St. Joseph's Church needed help with establishing a much needed hospital in Peoria. He turned to a group of Sisters who had experienced intensive hardships,...
peoria-central-high-school Peoria's Central High School is the oldest high school in Illinois and the 17th oldest in the United States of America. The seed of what would eventually become Peoria Central High School was launched...
peoria-city-hall When the present Peoria City Hall building was erected in 1899, it sat on the corner of Madison and Fulton. As Peoria's street layout has changed over the years, Madison Street no longer crosses Fulton....
peoria-cordage-company Edward Heidrich established the Peoria Cordage Company in 1888 when he moved his rope and twine business from Ohio. At its peak, the business employed 225 people and produced 700 tons of twine annually....
peoria-public-library In 1880, the Peoria Public Library was established at 111 West Monroe Street. It was the first library organized under the Illinois Free Public Law of 1872. The years following its establishment were...
proctor-hospital In 1882, Thomas McIlvane, O.B. Will and John Hamilton, three Peoria area doctors, acquired a 15-room house on Second Street that would soon be called the Cottage Hospital of Illinois. It didn't take...
robertson-memorial-field-house The Robertson Memorial Field House, formerly located on Main Street, was originally named in honor of the former Bradley athletic director and basketball coach, A.J. Robertson. During World War II, the...
rock-island-depot Peoria's first train entered town in November 1854, and for many years, Peoria was the fourth largest regional hub in the U.S. railway system. During this time, Peoria served 15 railroads and 70,000...
samuel-woolner-house The Samuel Woolner home that still stands on North Perry Street in Peoria was the home of local distiller Samuel Woolner's family for nearly thirty years. The house was built in 1877 for local...
vonachen-s-old-place Reminiscent of a nineteenth century small town railroad depot, Vonachen's Old Place drew the attention of visitors and restaurant connoisseurs from around the world for decades. During a review of the...
wilton-mortuary The Wilton Mortuary is one of Peoria's oldest, largest, and most respected funeral homes. The history of the business spans three generations and over 100 years of service to the community. Opening in...

 

 

 

Joomla Templates - by Joomlage.com